Lost foam casting is a process that belongs to precision casting, also known as gasification casting, solid casting, and cavityless casting. The dimensional accuracy of this process is up to 0.2mm, and the surface roughness can reach Ra5μm ～ Ra6μm.
Lost foam casting process
The lost foam casting process simply means that a fusible material is used to make a meltable and disappearable model. After the model is vaporized at high temperature, molten metal is poured into it, and after cooling, the shell is removed to obtain a casting.
With the rapid development of 3D printing technology, combined with the application of computer technology, the product’s 3D design drawing is directly imported into the device, and the casting prototype can be directly obtained to replace the traditional wax model. From the structural design and craftsmanship of precision castings to the design and manufacture of presses and wax molds, the production of precision castings has brought about tremendous changes.
3D printing/Rapid precision casting applications
In the traditional precision casting, the wax mold requires a mould,which is produced by opening and pressing. However,when foundries need to product small batches of complex parts, they will often meet the problems of high cost and long cycle. Besides, it will also be difficult to modify the design verification repeatedly. However, these problems can be changed by using 3D printing and rapid precision casting, and realize the rapid production of castings.
Brief Introduction of SLA3D Printing Fast Precision Casting
SLA (Stereo Lithography Appearance) is a 3D printing process with high precision and high molding quality. The resin mold is directly printed by SLA light curing 3D printing technology to replace the traditional casting wax mold for casting production, which can save Dewaxing mold opening and meet the quality requirements of the casting industry at the same time. It has a high success rate and is more environmentally friendly.
Advantages of 3D Printing Technology in Advprecision Casting Applications
1. Make precision casting production more flexible, more adaptable, and more adaptable to the requirements of modern industry for fast, high-quality and complex castings.
2. The application in precision casting structure design and process formulation provides an effective basis for technicians to design a more reasonable casting structure and determine a reasonable process plan.
3. The process of making molds and wax patterns is eliminated, and the manufacturing cycle could been greatly shortened.
4. Can produce any casting with complex structure, good quality and high precision.
5. The characteristics of relatively low cost, flexible design, clean and environmental protection, suitable for complex castings, etc. are in line with the general trend of the development of casting technology in the new century and have broad development prospects.
Time to use SLA rapid precision casting
-When the design has not been finalized, it coould be used for process design optimization
-When the delivery time is tight
-When the quantity is too small (within 50 pieces), it is not suitable for mold opening
-When the structure of the part is special and the mold cannot be opened, it is generally used for lightweight, special-shaped curved structural parts
-When you need to test parts to prove the concept
Post time: May-27-2020